Frequently Asked Questions


How am I taxed as a background artist?

When you work as a background artist you are working as a self-employed entertainer and it is your responsibility to register with HMRC and declare your earnings correctly. You should be able to deduct any commission, administration fee and VAT as business expenses when arriving at your net earnings that you will be subject to income tax and National Insurance contributions on. Please take professional advice on your personal tax situation as we can not offer any tax advice.