Head of Development
We want an experienced and empathic technical leader to join our London development team and help maintain and build the passionate and domain-savvy technical team we have built.
What does POP do?
We create a web-based platform that supports people who work in film and television to manage all of the people they need to help deliver their vision.
We take a person-centric view of the process of content production so we build communities of people who can be found, hired and brought onto set quickly. We have built management tools that allows production offices to onboard, contract, message and manage everyone who works with them from the first interview to sorting out the wrap party t-shirts.
Our vision of a better way of creating film and televison has led the product we’ve built rather than just digitising existing workflows. That means that sometimes we’re ahead of our market and struggle to explain the possibilities ourselves!
- Contributing to our codebase regularly
- Conducting regular reviews and one to ones with the developers
- Being a key part of our continuous improvement process
- Taking part in the strategic discussions of the platform’s technical future
- Coaching experienced staff, mentoring less-experienced members
- Managing the support of the platform
- You’ll have direct managerial experience of a software team of at least four people
- You will have mentored, coached and managed other developers and enjoy it
- You have enough experience in our technical stack that you can help talk and work through issues with our senior developers
- You’ll have had ownership of a business-critical production system and been accountable for it
What we’d love to see
Any of the following would help us understand that you are the right person for this role.
- Experience of working in a small business or startup
- Experience of maintaining and upgrading historic systems
- A connection to film, television or other creative industries
- Experience of managing cross-disciplinary teams including non-technical members
- Evidence of communicating and coordinating across a whole business, not just the technical side
- Experience using cloud infrastructure such as AWS, GCloud or Azure
- Imaginative handling of budgets and financial constraints
- The ability to present clearly and concisely
More information about the role
You will be reporting directly to the Head of Technology and after probation will have direct reports yourself from the development team.
POP has business lines in both the US and UK and it may be necessary to flex your time to accommodate both UK and US East Coast hours.
We are based in Shoreditch, East London and offer flexible parental leave, parent-friendly flexi-time, Perkbox membership and a pension.
The interview process will be the same as for a developer except there will be an additional round of face to face interviews with senior stakeholders in the business.
More information about our product
Our initial core product was based around background artist casting and organisation. We help casting agents and directors find great background artists to cast in films and our platform takes away all of the pain of dealing with paperwork and allowances on the film set.
Doing this has given a lot of experience in handling just in time situations efficiently and accurately. We’re using that experience to go through exactly the same process of managing people behind the camera and expanding to everyone in front of it too.